Food and Travel Nation with Elizabeth Dougherty
SERVERS REVENGE – SCREWING OVER COWORKERS
The TRUTH about Food and Travel
Original Broadcast Date: 3/21/2013
From the Food And Travel Nation Archives:
Elizabeth Dougherty spoke with Dr. Kirk Azevedo, a former Monsanto employee about the GM process. He describes some of the unintended results of genetic modification and how this product was released into animal feed, and thus into the human food supply. This interview was one of the very first interviews that pointed out the unintended consequences of this chemical and the haphazardly way glyphosate was handled.
Additionally, Elizabeth spoke out about the intent of some citrus growers to genetically modify their crops to protect against a citrus blight called Greening. Three main options (with subcategories) were presented by researchers: modifying with frog genes, moth genes or other plant genes. Plant gene options include the snowdrop plant and the spinach plant, among others.
The snowdrop was used to modify potatoes by a Hungarian researcher, Arpad Pusztai back in 1995. He tested the potatoes on rats and found that a diet of his GM potatoes was causing intestinal damage and immune system problems in the rats.
One of the field trials being conducted on GM citrus is with spinach genes. While it is being hailed as “good enough for Popeye” the same concerns about the “dirty” process currently in use for genetic modification and lack of appropriate testing continue to be concerns for consumers.
Over 90% of Americans want genetically modified food to be labeled, although corporations and the politicians they fund have been largely hiding this information from the citizens they serve.
About the show: Food And Travel Nation with Elizabeth Dougherty is the fusion of food and travel. This fresh, compelling nationally-syndicated weekend program includes information for homesteading, traveling, gardening, taste tests, and in a twist, listeners hear what restaurant servers say about customers.
- Each week our listeners get the very latest food and travel information
- We produce homemade videos of healthy, easy to make recipes
- We feature no-holds barred interviews in a LIVE, fast-paced, nationwide call-in show.
- Elizabeth Dougherty is a writer, trained chef, world traveler and now an award-winning talk show host.
- Food Nation Radio was on the forefront of presenting expert guests with vital information about GMOs, at a time when no one was talking about or even knew about the subject.
- We give our listeners, advertisers and stations a LIVE SHOW. (NO “BEST OF’S” EVER!)
- We present hard-hitting topics and interviews without the same old political spin.
- We are very social media conscious and stay in touch with our audience. (200,000 plus)
- We work closely with advertisers and stations to ensure their success.
- We are ready to deliver a fresh, tight, first-class show to your station from our digital studio utilizing Comrex Access and our own automation system.
Executive Producer – Michael Serio