VIDEO Serio Cooks Perfect Blueberry Coffee Cake. So while we’re locked down, using ingredients we have on-hand, let’s bake an easy-to-make dessert. This recipe is a keeper and of course, goes perfectly with a mug of hot coffee!
During the video, Michael mentioned a Food Nation Radio interview regarding what sugar growers do the speed up the ripening process, and why we use Organic sugar.
FOR THE STREUSEL TOPPING
• 6 tablespoons packed light brown sugar
• 1/2 cup all-purpose flour, spooned into measuring cup and leveled-off
• 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
• 1/4 teaspoon salt
• 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, cold, cut into 1/2-inch chunks
FOR THE CAKE
• * 2 cups all-purpose flour
• * 2 teaspoons baking powder
• 1/2 teaspoon salt
• * 1 stick (1/2 cup) unsalted butter, softened
• * 3/4 cup sugar (raw Pure Cane Sugar works best)
• * 2 large eggs
• * 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
• * 1 teaspoon lemon juice
• * 1/2 cup milk
• * 2 cups fresh blueberries (frozen may be used but do not defrost)
* USE ORGANIC PRODUCTS WHENEVER POSSIBLE
First, make the streusel topping: Combine the chunks of butter along with the brown sugar, flour, cinnamon, and salt in your food processor and pulse gently a few times until mixture forms little balls the size of baby peas. Don’t over do this!
Preheat the oven to 375°F. Grease a 9-inch square pan with butter or nonstick cooking spray. Add a sprinkle of flour and dust the bottom and sides of pan to prevent any sticking and to make cleanup easier.
In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder and salt. Set it aside.
With a low-speed mixer, beat the butter and sugar in a mixing bowl until creamy. (about 2 minutes) Add the eggs one at a time, and using a spatula, scrape down the sides of the bowl after adding each egg. Mix in the vanilla extract and lemon juice.
Slowly add the flour mixture to the batter, alternating with the milk, beating on low speed to combine.
Add the berries to the batter and gently fold with a wooden spoon until distributed evenly. Do not over-mix.
Pour the batter to the prepared pan and spread evenly. Sprinkle the streusel topping evenly over the batter. Bake for 40 to 45 minutes, until golden brown around the edges and a cake tester comes out clean. Let cool in the pan on a rack for about 20 minutes, then serve right from the pan. It’s worth your time to watch VIDEO Serio Cooks Perfect Blueberry Coffee Cake.